Commercial Truck Insurance Filings - Interstate Transportation


If your business requires a federal or state filing Barbee Jackson Insurance can help. In today’s highly regulated world it is important to work with an agency that has the experience and expertise not only to find you the right commercial trucking policy, but also to make sure your filings are correct with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

Federal filings are required and regulated by the FMSCA to make sure the operator is in compliance with federal insurance laws. The cargo, type of hauler, and radius of operation influence which type of filing is required by the FMCSA.

BMC-91 or BMC-91X

The FMCSA requires BMC-91 documentation from the insurance carrier verifying that the insured is carrying adequate limits of liability to cover transported goods or people across state lines. The BMC-91X filing is required when your insurance is provided by multiple insurance carriers.

The liability limits for freight range from $750,000 to $5,000,000 depending on the commodity being transported. Limits of $300,000 are available for non-hazardous freight transported by vehicles weighing less than 10,001 pounds.

For passenger vehicles the limits required are $5,000,000 for vehicles with seating capacity of 15 or more passengers and $1,500,000 for vehicles with seating capacity less than 15 passengers.

BMC-34 or BMC-83

BMC-34 or BMC-83 is proof of cargo insurance for a Household Goods Motor Carrier or Household Goods Freight Forward. The FMCSA requires them to carry the minimum limits for cargo insurance of $5,000 per vehicle, $10,000 per occurrence. Higher limits are available and recommended.

BMC-84 or BMC-85

Both the BMC-84 and the BMC-85 are required by the FMCSA for freight brokers and freight forwarders to provide financial security for the cargo being hauled. The amount required by the FMCSA is $75,000 and can be fulfilled by using either the BMC-84 or the BMC-85.

The BMC-84 is a surety bond issued by the insurance carrier. The bond is a $75,000 policy issued in the name of the freight operator and acts much like a regular insurance policy. The freight operator pays an annual premium for the bond (like paying car insurance) and in case of a loss, the bond pays up to $75,000.

The BMC-85 requires the freight operator to create a $75,000 trust in the name of the freight operator. The trust is secured with cash, irrevocable letter of credit, or a combination of both.


The MCS-90 is an endorsement to the motor carrier insurance policy that provides proof of liability insurance. MCS-90 acts like an insurance identification card or certificate of insurance and is updated to the FMCSA.

Request a Quote

Thank you!