A weather pattern referred to as the “ring of fire” will bring sweltering heat across the Gulf Coast for the next few days as temperatures will be in the high 90’s with the real feel temperatures above 100 degrees. When temperatures outside reaches 95 degrees in JUST 30 minutes the inside car air can reach 129 degrees!
As a lifelong animal lover, I was glad to hear that the State of Florida put a law into place to protect animals, people…and most of all, the people trying to save lives! Please follow the law and protect dogs and people from others who don’t value these lives as much as we do.
If you feel a vulnerable person or domestic animal is in harm from being locked in a motor vehicle you are immune from civil liability as long as you follow these guidelines set by the State of Florida. Immunity for civil liability for damage to motor vehicle refers to a person who enters a motor vehicle by force for the purpose of removing a vulnerable person or domestic animal.
- “Domestic animal” means dog, cat, or other animal that is domesticated and may be kept as a household pet. The term does not include livestock or other farm animals.
- “Vulnerable person” means a minor or vulnerable adult. A vulnerable adult is a person 18 years or older whose ability to perform the normal activities of daily living are impaired due to mental, emotional, sensory, long-term physical, developmental disability or the infirmities of aging.
Follow These Guidelines
- Have reasonable belief that entry into the motor vehicle is necessary because the vulnerable person or domestic animal is in imminent danger of suffering harm.
- Determine the motor vehicle is locked and there is no reasonable method to enter the vehicle to provide help.
- Notify the law enforcement or call 911 before entering vehicle or immediately thereafter.
- Use no more force to enter the vehicle and remove the vulnerable person or domestic animal than necessary
- Remain with the vulnerable person or domestic animal in a safe location close to the vehicle until law enforcement or other first responder arrives.
For a link to the 2019 Florida Statue click below
I am NOT a lawyer. I’m an insurance agent that happens to LOVE dogs. Please consult a legal professional or law enforcement is you need further clarification on this law.
About the Blogger
I’m the CEO, Chief Marketer, SEO Specialist, Blogger and Computer Geek for Barbee Jackson Insurance located in Crestview, Fl. Wow…that is a lot of hats 🎩 to for one person to wear! For the past twenty plus years I have worked as an Insurance Entrepreneur designing and implementing marketing plans that started with homemade postcards and evolved 🦖 to Insurance Digital Marketing…times sure have changed since the Yellowbook 📔 (For those born before the advent of Google, it was the world’s largest a search engine, but on paper)