One of my favorite holiday traditions is picking out the Christmas Tree
It was always done as a family and holds some of my fondest memories, and one I have continued with my son. Our goal is always to get the fattest, fullest tree, regardless of other imperfections. As much fun as real trees are, they also pose an increased hazard. Fire departments across the nation respond to an average of 200 home fires each Holiday Season caused by the miss handling of Christmas Trees and decorations. These fires cause injury, destruction of property, and even death. If your family opted for a real Christmas Tree this year, please read the following tips to keep your family and home safe this holiday season.
So What is the Leading Cause of Christmas Tree Fires?
- Decorative lighting 18%
- Wiring or related equipment 13%
- Cords or plugs 6%
- 6% someone playing with fire
- 24% were intentional burning of a tree after Christmas
Barbee Jackson Insurance has you covered for all your home, business, and auto insurance needs!
- When picking a tree make sure it is fresh with green needles that do not fall off when touched
- Cut 2” from the base of the trunk before placing it in the tree stand
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from fireplaces, candles, heat vents and other heat sources
- Add water daily to the Christmas tree stand
- Use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory
- Indoor light should never be used outside
- Replace any string of lights with that are broken or showing wear
- Always turn off the lights before going to bed or leaving for the home
- After Christmas get rid of the tree before it dries out